Monday, April 18, 2011

18 April: Strengths and Weaknesses

The UNI survey showed me that when it comes to technology I am the strongest in Tools to Access information and Tools to Use Information. I scored the highest in both of these two areas. This did not surprise me because I feel that I am able to get onto the internet to research and come up with what I need. I scored lower when it came to Software Applications; which again did not shock me, because I tend to stick with the software that I know and do not branch out very much. When looking at the NET Standards I feel that this still holds true because I feel that I am able to use technology to engage in ongoing professional development and lifelong learning. I feel as teachers’ technology is one of the most important ways we can continue in our lifelong learning; whether it be through the internet or by using e-mail to communicate with our fellow teachers we are able to partake from knowledge by using technology. I also feel like I have some great ideas how to use technology for assessment; I actually just had a teacher I am observing show me how 100% of his tests are all online, I loved it.

As a teacher I would like to use more than just PowerPoints in my classroom. I want to use movies and pictures to show historical places and events. I want my students to know how to research online as well as in a library. I want to teach my students how to find what they are really looking for when they are searching the web. The biggest goal I have is to use a variety of technology in my classroom; it is too easy to fall into that movie and PowerPoint technology trap. I found that I want to do digital stories in my class; I want to show them as well as have my students make them. Due to my weaknesses I want to branch out and learn different software. I have Microsoft Word and PowerPoint down, but beyond that I really struggle. I have a hard time making spreadsheets on Excel. I would like to be able to use Excel efficiently and effectively. Another goal I have is to be able to solve problems with my computer; I do really well until my computer does what I do not want it to do. I have found that when I am trying to upload something or link something it does not always work. I want to be able to fix problems like that on my own without needing my husband’s help. I have started to work on this by having him show me how to fix an issue and writing down what he says and then the next time it happened I pull out my written instructions and fix it myself. It has really helped me.

I found online a website that helps you learn how to use excel with mini two minute podcasts. It is set up that you watch and learn one podcast a day. I think this site will be great for me to use because I can spare two minutes each day to learn something new with technology. The website is called Learn Excel From Mrexcel Video and is at www.mrexcel.com/podcast/ learnersexcelpodcast.html. Another website that I found has a bunch of mini-podcasts that help give teachers ideas about how to use technology in the classrooms. They have podcasts on there about subjects such as “Rewiring their teaching” and “Are books dead?” The web site is called Teaching With Technology Podcast: A Series of User-Friendly Techniques, Suggestions, Tips and Advice; the website is http://powertolearn.typepad.com/teaching_with_technology/. I like how this website gives specific technology advice for teachers and the classroom. This would help me integrate technology into all areas of my teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment