Monday, March 14, 2011

21 March - Digital Story 2: Copyright Blog

I was really shocked that you can't show a movie in its entirety. I would have never known that! I think back to all the times that I have sat through a class and we have watched a movie in full. But now I know that you can only use 30% of the movie and it has to have some type of educational value for me to use it. I think I was the most shocked over that. It blows me away that you can purchase a movie and still not be able to use it in the classroom. I figure this goes for all movies including documentaries. This could affect me greatly in history since I have all sorts of documentaries that I would love to use in the classroom. Something I wonder is if it is 30% of the movie ever or if it is 30% of the movie at a time? Although that is frustrating I don’t think we should be having our students watching movies in their entirety anyway.

I also was not aware of how easy it was to license my own stuff. I didn’t realize that all you need to do is give credit to who it came from and share it with others. I think that for education purposes it is good that we have to share our things; in education it is good for us to have a large pool to pull from and that pool won’t grow unless we give to it. I also found it interesting that they were copyrighting as early as they were. I should know that they were, but I had never realized that in 1886 they were making international laws about copyrighting.

I am excited to make my digital story. I think my group is going to work well together and it is going to go pretty easy. We are planning on getting together next Monday during the class time and try to pump it out. I think that having that day off is really going to help us out because we all have crazy schedules and it was going to be somewhat hard to get us all together. I am excited to be able to be creative and show something from history in a creative way.

No comments:

Post a Comment